Freeman took dry swings and hit off a tee during the Braves' workout in Chicago before their series with the Chicago White Sox.
“It’s feeling a lot better,” Freeman said.
The thumb was originally jammed while Freeman made a tag on Cincinnati Reds outfielder Chris Heisey on Saturday. He was forced to miss Sunday's game as well as the All-Star Game.
Freeman was the fourth Braves starter to be injured in three days, following Jason Heyward on Thursday and B.J. Upton and Justin Upton on Friday. B.J. Upton is now on the disabled list, while Justin Upton and Heyward will likely be available for Friday's second-half opener.
The Braves desperately need Freeman to be healthy. He leads the team in batting average (.308) and RBIs (61) and sits at third in the National League with a .423 average with runners in scoring position.
- Freddie Freeman Out of All-Star Game with Thumb Injury
- Brian McCann Replaces Fellow Atlanta Brave Freddie Freeman in 2013 All-Star Game
- Freddie Freeman Drives in Four, Atlanta Braves Take First Game from Cincinnati Reds
- Freddie Freeman Hits Game-Winning Single in Atlanta Braves’ Walk-off Win Over San Francisco Giants
- Atlanta Braves’ Freddie Freeman Shows Off Under Armour All-Star Spikes
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/xky