Venters left Tuesday's game with the Detroit Tigers after he felt discomfort in the form of a "pulling sensation," though he says there was no pop like he felt in 2005 when he had to have Tommy John surgery.
“It didn’t swell up,” Venters said on ajc.com. “(Wednesday) it wasn’t terrible, soreness-wise. Most of the soreness is in my muscles. So that’s good. I don’t know what the plan is…. I’m not too awful worried about it being anything.”
General manager Frank Wren also chose his words carefully in search of some shred of optimism, even though Venters is expected to start the season on the disabled list.
“It seems like a sprain of some sort, or strain,” Wren said. “We’ll let Jim Andrews tell us what his findings are once he sees him. Until Jim sees him, we just won’t know.”
The move leaves the Bravos with Eric O'Flaherty and Luis Avilan as the bullpen's remaining lefty arms. They also have two spots to fill with Christhian Martinez and Anthony Varvaro – both of whom are out of options – or Wirfin Obispo.
The 28-year-old Venters has appeared in 230 games since 2010, the second most in baseball. Although his ERA is a miniscule 2.23 in that time, he did go on the disabled list in July of last year with an elbow impingement.
"It's disappointing, because I worked hard this offseason and this spring to get ready for the season," Venters told braves.com. "Unfortunately, this had to happen at this time. It's nothing I have control over, so I'm just going to do everything in my power to get healthy."
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/rxj